TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
Below are instructions for caring for your new tattoo. You can download a printable pdf here.
Keep the fresh tattoo wrapped with plastic wrap over the AQUAPHOR HEALING OINTMENT the rest of the day and all of the first night, four nights wrapped in total. Unwrap, wash thoroughly with OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP several times, and apply no ointment during the day while unwrapped. Continuously washing with OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP throughout the day. Tattooer may advise you to keep the tattoo wrapped the second day, all during the day. Cover-ups usually require this.
There will be no more wrapping at night and rapidly tapering off the use of ointment will begin. Only small amounts of AQUAPHOR HEALING OINTMENT on areas that look like it may need it and only part of the day. It still needs drying time too. Continue to wash the tattoo frequently day and night with the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP.
Continue washing the tattoo with the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP three times a day. At this point, thin flaky scabs should have washed off and the skin will appear to be dry and maybe itchy. This is when you can begin putting lotion on the tattoo twice a day. Use only a white, non-scented, non perfumed lotion. Burt’s Bees makes a great organic lotion that can be found at just about any drugstore or supermarket and is perfect for the finishing stage of healing your new tattoo.
THE DETAILS: FIRST THINGS FIRST
1- Keep plastic wrap on and sealed until the next morning. 2- Wash all slimy ointment and secretions away in a hot shower using a regular soap or body wash (no conditioning soap like Dove) and rinse away. Then lather the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP and wash and rinse the tattoo at least two times. Get it squeaky clean where water doesn’t bead up on the tattoo surface. Water beading up means theres still residual ointment and secretions that need to be cleaned off so keep washing.
1- Remove plastic wrap in the morning.
2- Wash all slimy ointment and secretions away in a hot shower using a regular soap or body wash (no conditioning soap like Dove) and rinse away. Then lather the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP and wash and rinse the tattoo at least two times. Get it squeaky clean where water doesn’t bead up on the tattoo surface. Water beading up means theres still residual ointment and secretions that need to be cleaned off so keep washing.
3- NO OINTMENT SHOULD BE APPLIED DURING THE DAY! NO LOTION EITHER!
4- Wash and rinse the tattoo 4-5 times daily with the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP. Wash and rinse two times every time.
THE POINT OF FREQUENT WASHING
Anything not washed off will turn in to a scab and scabs are bad! They can ruin a new tattoo. Dry and thin flaky scabs are fine and will fall off in a day or two.
NIGHT TIME AFTERCARE
5- Do a deep and final hot washing of the day with the OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP. Let the tattoo dry for 10-15 minutes.
6- Apply a generous amount of AQUAPHOR HEALING OINTMENT all over the tattoo and spread it out past the edges of the tattoo.
7- Wrap the tattoo with a standard kitchen plastic wrap, extending it out beyond the edges of the tattoo by several inches.
8- Tape down the plastic to your skin making an airtight seal over the tattoo and go to bed. Try to use a tape that won’t irritate your skin.
Alternatives to the suggested Aftercare products
-There is no substitute for the AQUAPHOR HEALING OINTMENT. It can be purchased here at the shop or can be found at any drugstore or supermarket.
- The alternative to OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP (also sold here at the shop) is Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser. This can be found at a drug store. You’ll likely need to ask the pharmacist where its located. Sometimes it’s kept behind the counter. Use the Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser soap only, NOT the Hibiclens soap scrubbing pads.
FINAL THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS
Over a 24 hour day, a fresh tattoo needs medication time with the application of AQUAPHOR HEALING OINTMENT and it needs breathing time with NO OINTMENT. During the “no ointment” stage, the tattoo should be hand-washed (never scrubbed) with OPTISCRUB ANTIMICROBIAL SOAP. Unlike Antibacterial soap; Antimicrobial soap cleanses, medicates, soothes, and accelerates the healing time of your new tattoo. This soap in combination with the suggested ointment and diligently following the aftercare procedure will heal your new tattoo looking crisp with clean line-work; keeping the black looking black and the colors bright and true!
- When washing the healing tattoo, begin with cool water and slowly bring it up to a hot temperature you can handle. If you go straight to hot, it will not feel pleasant.
- For you athletic folks we highly suggested you refrain from activity that will stretch the tattooed area. If you do continue it will make the tattoo healed look faded. We’ve seen it happen many times.
- If you have a day job that can cause the unwrapped, dry tattoo to get dirty during the day; like mechanic, HVAC, or sweaty labor, etc.: Flip-flop the aftercare process to ointment and wrapping during the day and clean and dry at night.
- Do not put lotion on a fresh tattoo! Lotion IS NOT a healing agent and Antibacterial soap is inferior to Antimicrobial soap!
- Seeking out high quality tattooing and spending your hard-earned money on it is important. Using the correct, high quality aftercare products and following proper aftercare procedures is just as important.
Signs of Infection or allergic reaction are rare but if become a concern
*After consulting your tattooer or piecer to signs of infection or allergic reaction first; if you feel it necessary consult a physician.
*Body Art should be considered permanent and possible side effects of the procedure are infection or allergic reaction.
PIERCING AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
Contact the studio to discuss all piercing aftercare with the piercer. Each piercing has their own method of aftercare and a piercer should be consulted over the phone or in person with any questions.